Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

4 More days until we say "I do!"

Four more days?! I cannot believe that we are really at the home stretch!

So, since we are so close to the wedding day, I thought I would share with you the story of our engagement.

Let me begin with the fact that I am not a patient person and I am not too fond of surprises. Therefore, waiting for Paul to propose was pure agony. I kept bugging him and he gave me the hint of "snow."

Well, one night after a huge snow storm we took our dog out to go play in the snow, because, well, she loves it so much. Here we are letting her run around and he turns to me and begins to get down on one knee.

Now, I know what you all are thinking, that he was going to propose. But really, he was just playing a cruel trick on me. I was not a happy camper.

Probably about a month later we had planned a trip to go visit his sister Mila in Pennsylvania and then make a weekend trip to go to New York City.  Well, since it was December and our trip was up north, it got cancelled due to bad snow storms. So we changed travel plans and decided to go south to New Orleans.  We had been wanting to visit there for a while and we would be able to stop and say hi to my sister, Melanie, and her family on the way down.

We get to New Orleans, check into our hotel (after quite some difficulty finding our hotel and where to park), check in and unpack our bags and head to dinner. We walked to a nearby restaurant that was river front. This is not where he proposed. But this is where I had some nasty jambalaya with half uncooked rice and he had an great alligator po-boy. We walked back to the hotel and we saw that there was a courtyard near our hotel room with a couple benches that overlook the river. (Our hotel room also overlooked the Mississippi River.) We decided to go change and then go back out and sit for a while.

Paul and I have this thing where, when no one has been talking for a while, one of us asks the other, "What are you thinking about?"  So, naturally, we are both sitting there, quiet, and I ask him, "What are you thinking about?" He turns to me, gets on one knee, and says, "I'm thinking about asking you to be my wife."

Paul was so romantic. What did I do? Grabbed the ring. Put it on my finger. And started laughing. I was so happy that I just could not stop laughing.  After that we went back to the hotel and called our family.

Now, you are thinking. What about that hint he gave about the snow? Well, he told me that his original plan was to propose in New York City in front of the Rockefeller tree, where there would have for sure been snow.

That would have been awesome, but I am so happy with how it all worked out. New Orleans was awesome, especially the food, and I cannot wait to go back there some day.

I also cannot wait to marry the amazing man who proposed to me that weekend.

4 more days until we say "I do!"

Here is a picture from after he proposed.


1 comment: