Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Married Life

I was going to post about our honeymoon, but I will save that post for later, once we get all of our honeymoon pictures uploaded to the computer.

For today, I decided I would post about or married life.

We haven't been married that long, but everyone asks us, "How is married life?" My answer, "Good, but not that different."  I know that seems strange, but we have been together for so long that it isn't anything really 'new' for us.

What is really different, and really nice, is that I am in a different school program at MSU.  I decided that I no longer wanted to continue my education as an educator for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.  I just graduated with my bachelor's degree as a Deaf educator, but I realized it was not the career for me.  I loved the kids and the teaching aspect of it, but really you are more of a therapist than a teacher.  It is very therapy based and science-y and I just didn't enjoy it. So, after much discussion and support, I decided to drop out of the master's program for Education of  Deaf and Hard of Hearing and get an early childhood education teaching certificate. This will allow me to teach from birth to third grade. I am very excited about this change in my schooling career and am very happy about my decision. I truly felt that I was being called to do this, so this is where I am!

I started school last week and am loving it.  I have a couple fantastic teachers, and a couple that are okay. I have already learned so much from two of my classes in just two weeks! It is strange going from graduate level courses to a 100 level course- where the teacher says there is no format for our 2 page research paper and that if we do poorly on a test we can retake it.

I am not complaining though.  Having less of a school load is letting me focus more on being a wife.  I actually had time to organize our kitchen and cook three nights last weeks! That never happened when I was in my other program.  One of my professors said that his class was going to be challenging and that he would expect a lot from us, but that he also understood that we have lives outside of school. He said if we didn't have lives outside of school that we were doing life wrong.  He said it is important to spend time with friends, family, relaxing, and doing this we enjoyed- not just stressing about and working on school stuff all of the time.  I completely agree with him and I think that is one reason why I was not cut out to be a Deaf educator. They are very work/school focused and it seemed that a lot of times that came first in my peer's lives and in my professor's lives.  I was not that way.  School is VERY important to me, but I do not want it to over take my life.

Something I have learned over the past year is that life is short and you never know when you won't be able to see a loved one again. So, I have made it a focus of mine to make time for friends and family and to make time for fun. This has made me a much happier, positive person.

Well, I kind of went off on a tangent there, but it all made sense and flowed in my mind.

To sum it up, I am loving married life, because I am married to my best friend! I am loving school and I am loving having free time to work more, keep up with household tasks, write this blog, and do things for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment